If you are an avid rider, then you know how important it is to keep your tack clean.
A clean saddle pad not only looks better but also helps prevent the build-up of bacteria that can cause skin irritation. Washing your saddle pad on a regular basis will prolong its life and keep you comfortable in the saddle.
There are a few things to keep in mind when washing saddle pads.
First, always use a mild soap or detergent designed for horse tack. Harsh chemicals can damage the fabric and shorten the lifespan of your saddle pad.
Second, avoid using hot water as this can shrink or damage the fabric.
Step by Step Instruction
Follow these simple steps for washing your saddle pad:
- Start by removing any debris from the surface of the saddle pad with a soft brush or cloth. Pay special attention to the area where the girth attached as this is typically where the most dirt and sweat accumulate.
- Fill a clean bucket with cool water and add a mild soap or detergent designed for horse tack. Stir the water to create suds.
- Submerge your saddle pad in the soapy water and use your hands to massage it gently all over. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies where dirt likes to hide.
- Rinse your saddle pad thoroughly with clean water until all traces of soap are gone. Avoid using hot water as this can damage the fabric.
- Hang your saddle pad up to air dry in a well-ventilated area out of direct sunlight. Do not place it in front of a fan or heater as this can cause the fabric to shrink or stretch out of shape.
- Once your saddle pad is completely dry, give it a quick brush with a stiff bristled brush to return any raised fibers back into place and restore its pile.
- Keeping your saddle pad clean will prolong its life and keep you comfortable in the saddle!
Washing your saddle pad on a regular basis is important for both aesthetics and function. Follow these simple steps for how to wash saddle pads and you'll have a clean, fresh-smelling piece of tack that will last for years to come!
If you are in need of saddle pads for your horse, please tap below to check out our top picks