Weight gain is a common concern during menopause.
In fact, 65% of women report being unhappy with their weight during menopause, and many women report significant weight gain.
If you're struggling with your weight during menopause, you're not alone. But there are things you can do to address the problem.
Why The Weight Gain?
There are a few things that contribute to weight gain during menopause:
- Decreased muscle mass. As we age, we lose muscle mass. This loss of muscle mass leads to a decrease in metabolism, which can cause weight gain.
- Hormonal changes. During menopause, our bodies go through a lot of hormonal changes. These changes can lead to an increase in appetite, cravings for high-fat and high-sugar foods, and fluid retention.
- Lifestyle choices. As we age, we tend to become less active. We may also eat more processed foods and drinks more alcohol. Both of these factors can contribute to weight gain.
- Stress. Stress can cause us to eat more, exercise less, and make poor lifestyle choices. It can also lead to hormonal imbalances that contribute to weight gain.
How To Stop The Weight Gain?
There are a few things you can do to stop menopause weight gain:
1. Increase your activity level .Aim for 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity most days of the week .Do things that you enjoy so that it doesn't feel like a chore .Think beyond traditional exercise and be creative .Try walking ,hiking ,cycling ,dancing ,swimming ,or taking an exercise class
2. Eat a healthy diet .Focus on whole foods - fruits ,vegetables ,whole grains ,lean proteins ,and healthy fats .Limit processed foods ,sugar ,and alcohol .Be mindful of portion sizes
3. Manage stress .Make time for yourself every day to relax and de-stress .Try yoga ,meditation , journaling ,or deep breathing exercises
4. Talk to your doctor .Hormonal changes during menopause can contribute to weight gain .Your doctor may prescribe hormone therapy or other medications to help manage these changes
5. Get enough sleep .Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep every night
6. Be patient with yourself .Weight loss takes time - focus on making small changes that you can sustain over the long term
Menopause is a natural process that all women go through as they age. Unfortunately, many women also experience unwanted side effects during this time, such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and weight gain.
Weight gain is a common concern during menopause, but there are things you can do to address the problem. by following the tips above, you can make lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and keep it off long-term.
For extra support, check out these menopause supplements now!